Celebrity chef, restaurateur, and gourmet food producer Nik Fields has a plan to reduce food spending and protect your pocketbooks. With a few tips and tricks, you will be well on your way to extra savings. The supermarket is ground zero for waste! Here are a few techniques she swears by to save money on food costs:
1. Do not feel the need to fill your shopping cart. Shopping carts are getting larger because testing reveals that they encourage customers to buy more. Opt to get a basket instead.
2. Wear headphones and listen to upbeat music. Stores intentionally play music with a slower beat to encourage shoppers to move more slowly through the aisles and buy more. Put on some Beyoncé, move briskly while shopping, and burn some calories while protecting your pocketbook.
3. Make a shopping list and put it to work! Do not fall into the habit of “running into the grocery store to grab a few items.”
4. Eat, Eat, Eat!! The WORST decision to make is to go to the supermarket on an empty stomach. When you’re hungry,EVERYTHING looks good. Don’t spend extra money on food that you have no intentions of eating/cooking because you are eye–hungry.
5. Shop Locally: 2 words, Farmer‘s Market! The Farmers Market is your best friend. Prices are lower than the typical store, and the fruits and veggies are organic. Most importantly, you’re keeping the money in your community to ensure the prices are lower when you shop.
6. Your proper home storage will aid in your masterplan to protect your pocketbook. Invest in freezer bags and storage containers. Having the proper storage containers will extend the life of your prepared food which will save you time and money.