Eggnog is heavy on the cream and loaded with sugar. Delicious, but not the best accompaniment to a holiday meal with so much rich food already. This vegan-friendly eggnog alternative uses coconut milk (which has unique fatty acids that aid heart health) instead of cream, and replaces table sugar with dates and maple syrup (an unrefined sweetener laden with antioxidants and minerals). And the cashews make an excellent protein substitute for the egg whites.
This recipe was shared by the Health Coach Institute.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- 6 to 8 dates (pitted)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Soak cashews in water overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
- Drain the water from the cashews and place them in a blender with 2 cups of fresh water. Blend until very smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until a uniform consistency is achieved. This will require some time, as the dates take a great deal of blending.
- Pour eggnog into a glass container and refrigerate until cold (all the blending will likely heat the mixture up, so for best results, refrigerate before drinking).
- Do crazy awesome stuff with your eggnog.